Kearney High School A+ Program
A+ Scholarship Program Background
The A+ Scholarship Program was created as a part of the Outstanding Schools Act of 1993 as an incentive for improving Missouri’s high schools. The primary goal of the A+ Scholarship Program is to ensure that all students who graduate from Missouri high schools are well prepared to pursue advanced education and/or employment.
Kearney High School is a designated A+ school. Students who receive their A+ certification are eligible to earn waived tuition through any Missouri 2-year community college, vocational or technical school, depending on state funding. Many Missouri 4-year universities offer scholarships based on A+ criteria as well.
Students who have received their A+ certification must claim this financial incentive within 48 months of their high school graduation.
What are the steps to A+ certification?
To be eligible for A+ certification, students must meet ALL of the following requirements:
1. Enter into a written agreement for the A+ program before graduation.
2. Be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident.
3. Attend an A+ designated high school for two years prior to graduation.
4. Graduate with a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher.
5. Have at least a 95% cumulative attendance rate.
6. Complete at least 50 hours of tutoring. (All tutoring must be unpaid tutoring in the Kearney School District. Tutoring placements must be approved by Mrs. Henshaw).
7. Complete A+ Training and an A+ Training Verification Form
8. Maintain a good citizenship record and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol while in grades 9-12.
9. Have achieved a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I EOC or another DESE-approved exam.*
10. Completion of the FAFSA is required by the state to receive financial incentives.
11. Male student must register for the Selective Service (if turning 18 before graduation)
For more information on the state requirements for A+ certification, visit the Missouri Department of Higher Education website.
*For more information on the math requirement, please visit the Missouri Department of Higher Education website. Students may receive their eligibility through a qualifying GPA and combined ACT math score. Please visit the site above to see this scale.
A+ Tutor Training
All A+ Tutors will need to read the A+ Student Handbook before starting tutoring and receive A+ training. A+ Documents are below.
A+ Tutor Training Verification Form
A+ Tutoring During Summer School
Summer school is an excellent time to complete some A+ tutoring hours. If you would like to sign up to tutor during summer school, please contact Mrs. Henshaw at the High School. Times/dates for summer school will be communicated by KSD at a later date.
Questions about the A+ program?
Please contact Sandy Henshaw at Kearney High School.